Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone IN CONCERT

6:12 PM

Ha! It's been ages since my last blog post. Well, I admit I've been lazy. Also because I was really really stressed and preoccupied with my PRP training.


Now, PRP training is considered past tense because I've submitted all my logbooks! Basically I've got no more assignments to submit except that stupid research that nobody's interested to do (and have been dragging since forever).

So, actually I was hesitating to write or not to write this blog post because as you know I'm so so lazy. Haiz, but I figured since I'm such a self-proclaimed Harry Potter fan, I shall dedicate a blog post to this event, right?

*Self-proclaimed HP fan because:

1) I love the movies. In fact, HP movies are one of my favourite movies that I can rewatch over and over again. And for those who don't know, I don't usually rewatch movies or dramas.

2) I share the same birthday with the boy who lived!

3) I don't read the books although I would really like to. But frankly, I'm not much of a book person nowadays. Believe it or not, my main hobby until primary school was reading! During secondary school, the mighty computer just conveniently replaced books from the top of my hobby list.

4) So, I know most of the stuffs they portrayed in the movies but don't know things that are only mentioned in the books.

5) I don't go as far as dressing up as Hogwarts students or hoarding HP merchandises, but I do plan to visit The Wizarding World of Harry Potter one day.


OK, so one of the things that I love in HP movies are the soundtracks! Especially the haunting main theme - Hedwig's theme! The first time I heard it was when I saw the trailer of the first HP movie on the TV during primary school I think and I instantly fell in love with that music.

So, naturally I was excited to find that there's a HP concert world tour going on. At first, I was hesitant to buy the tickets because it's quite expensive (minimum RM190) and I don't know whether I will like attending an orchestra concert. After that, I sort of decided I don't want to go and had put it out of my mind.

But one day, my dear friend CS (who is a genuine HP books reader) told me that she attended the concert in New Zealand and recommended me to go. So I asked my high school gang for company and YT and LY surprisingly said they want to go! And we bought the tickets!

Unfortunately, due to unforeseen reasons, the concert which was originally dated on 16 July 2017, was postponed to 5 November 2017. According to the organizer, the orchestra bailed out on them last minute. And they only announced this change of date on the day before the actual event! 

Although I was a little angry and very disappointed at that moment, I still wanted to go so I waited for news. In the end, as compensation, the organizer offered a Golden Ticket souvenir to every original ticket holders and a chance to participate in lucky draw to win a 3 Day 2 night trip to Japan including tickets to Universal Studio Japan (flights and accommodation included)! They also let you refund if you can't make it on the new dates. Well, me and YT were okay with it but LY had her piano exam during the week so she wanted to refund. Anyway, I asked HL whether she wants to take LY's ticket and she said OK!

So, yesterday night was the night.

Driving to KLCC was smooth as it was around 4PM. However, we went the wrong way when we were finding the parking entrance and stuck in jam for a good whole 10 minutes at the drop-off point in front of Suria KLCC entrance? Tried to go into the Ladies Parking area but was denied entrance because apparently they were very strict on "Only SINGLE lady driver" rule (this is where I would show the Maple F3 face or roll my eyes). But actually, we managed to find a parking elsewhere fairly easily wtf but we wasted some amount of time turning around the parking maze just to find the Ladies Parking entrance zzzz.

We met YT at Guardian and then we walked through the underground tunnel to the KLCC convention centre. It was at the same building where they always have exhibitions like book fair. When YT found out that there was another way to reach there from Suria KLCC, which was through the park, she kept saying that it would be much much much faster if we used the route through the park, although I thought they were similar and I didn't mind. But she kept saying it I don't know why so I gave in and let her win lol.

We collected the tickets and the golden ticket outside the Plenary Hall which was located on Level 1. Then, we went for dinner, some shopping and stuffs. We headed back to the Plenary Hall at 7PM because the door will be opened one hour before the concert.

Inside the hall!

Ticket (front)

Ticket (back)

So called "Golden ticket" is actually a 3D bookmark lol but at least better than nothing?


Golden ticket (back)


When I entered the hall I knew why our seats were "partially restricted view". There's a lighting instrument hanging from the ceiling that was blocking the part of the stage where the conductor and some of the front musicians were at. Aiks but its a small matter because most of the time we will be watching the movie screen anyway haha.



We sat on our seats and we started taking pictures, recording videos and whatnot lol because we are forbidden to do so when the show really starts. Some of the musicians were like playing some random notes to warm up on the stage. At some point we heard some familiar notes from the HP movie too. I was enjoying the excitement but there were rotating blue lights on the top of the stage that would shine straight towards us from time to time. They were really irritating to my eyes and caused me to have headache :( Thank God the lights were off when the show starts.

See the annoying blue light?


The concert started with the emcee opening the show with HP terms like "waving wands" and "muggles" and then the conductor came in. The concert was conducted by John Beal who I think is a Hollywood conductor and the National Symphony Orchestra was playing. The conductor tried to pump up the atmosphere by asking us to cheer for our houses haha and asked us to feel free to cheer or laugh or make noises during the movie. But during the movie everyone behaved very well I guess because Malaysians are reserved people especially those who attend classical concert? lol.

I enjoyed the movie very much, as usual. The orchestra played really well it's just like watching the movie with actual soundtrack playing. So kind of feels like we were just watching a really expensive movie because most of the time our eyes were on the movie screen lol. Just sometimes when the music was really loud, I would take a look at the orchestra and try to guess which instrument is contributing to the music lol.

Only at the end credits did everyone's eyes on the orchestra. And that's when I truly immersed myself in the music. Lol ok la at least can justify we went to an actual orchestra.

After the show ended, came the most exciting moment! Lucky draw time! There were 3 draws. 2 for HP book sets and 1 for the Japan trip. Well, in a nut shell, we didn't win any lahhh haha. When we left the theatre it was already 11.30 PM. The movie was almost 3 hours! And there was a 20-minute intermission.

Oh well, it was tired but it was a well spent night :)

Lastly, here's a sneak peek picture that I've taken from the organizer Creon Asia's FB page.



Till then, bye!


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Latest Post

A Traumatising Incident at Tawau, Sabah

It's been a looooooooooong time since I blog about my daily life other than my travelogs. Partly because there's really nothing so ...