TAIWAN TRAVELOG 2018 臺灣寶島之旅 DAY 4: TAICHUNG 臺中 Gaomei Wetlands 高美濕地 Fengjia 逢甲夜市

8:06 PM



Gaomei Wetlands (this photo is obviously heavily edited lol)

DAY 4

20th September


The bus ride from Alishan 阿里山 to Chiayi HSR Station 嘉義高鐵站 took around 2.5 hours. The bus that we took also stopped at Fenqihu 奮起湖 for 5 minutes but we didn't plan to visit because we only have half a day at Taichung 臺中. I think I spent most of the time sleeping in the bus. We spent NT$ 122 per person only instead of NT$ 278. I think we got discount by using EasyCard 悠游卡.

We reached HSR Station around 1 PM-ish. I decided to just have our lunch at the station by eating the HSR Lunchbox 高鐵便當. Eating railway lunchbox is a must-do in Taiwan because their lunchbox are said to be very filling and tasty. Although my initial plan was to eat the Train Lunchbox 臺鐵便當 on the train but I thought we weren't going to have chance to do that in this trip. 

At first, it was quite hard to find the place they sell the lunchbox because I didn't know how it looked like. And according to their official website, they only sell it during 10.30 AM -1.00 PM and 5 PM - 7 PM only. Luckily, the Chiayi HSR Station was not that big and I managed to spot the small booth in front of the ticketing counters.


I think there were 3 varieties to choose from and I chose two pork chop lunch boxes and two chicken chop lunch boxes.


Chicken chop lunchbox 香烤鷄腿排盒餐 NT$ 100

The kind of colourful and nutritious meal that I like - Mixed Rice 雜飯 hahaha


It's just a simple and common meal but I liked the home-cooked taste.


After we finished our meals, we boarded on the 2 PM HSR to Taichung 臺中. The HSR ride took 30 minutes only and costed us NT$ 300 per person. BTW, same as the normal train, some HSR trains stop at more stations than others so be sure to choose the one with fewest stops if you want to reach your destination faster.


HSR 高鐵

Plantation view through the window


When we reached Taichung HSR Station 臺中高鐵站, we straight headed to the taxi pick-up point to get a ride to our AirBnb. Something quite funny happened here. Usually, the taxis would be queuing up in a line to wait for customers, right? But we saw two taxi drivers from two different sides waving and calling out to us. It was confusing for us whether to take whose taxi. By right, I should have followed the arrows on the floor leading towards the start of the line but I don't know why I ended up went the other way haha maybe the driver looked more inviting hahaha. Anyway, the taxi driver was friendly and talkative so we enjoyed the ride. He warned us that some homestay in Taiwan were not safe because they didn't follow the safety regulation lol. The taxi ride costed us NT$ 290 because the Taichung HSR Station was quite far from the town.

We asked the taxi driver to drop us at the meeting point as instructed by the AirBnb host. Then we called the AirBnb host and a girl came right away in a Scooter 小綿羊 haha. This AirBnb that we chose was managed by a group of friendly Taiwanese youngsters who I think were hired by the owner. I chose this place mainly because of it's strategic location in the Fengjia 逢甲 area.

One good thing about travelling during off-peak seasons --- you get the best room. So, we got the room at ground floor so we wouldn't have to drag our luggage up the stairs.

The room decoration was not like the photos sent by the hosts to me but the size and furniture were pretty much the same. They have many rooms with different decoration and our room decoration was the cute and a bit princessy kind. 

My review on AirBnb site as below:
Easy to find the place as clear instructions are given. 5 mins walk to the biggest night market in Taiwan. Hosts are a group of youngsters who are very friendly and dedicated. I like the cute decoration of the bedroom and the nice smell from the air freshener when I enter the room. Would stay again if I visit Taichung again! 




Before we came, I've already paid a deposit of NT$ 500 through AirBnb. So, I paid the remaining by cash when we checked-in. The total cost of the room was NT$ 1500 per night.

After that, seriously I didn't know where to go because the reasons I came Taichung were to visit the Gaomei Wetlands 高美濕地, Rainbow Village 彩虹眷村 and Fengjia Night Market 逢甲夜市. It was still early to visit Gaomei Wetlands and Fengjia Night Market. I had planned Rainbow Village for the next day. So I decided just to visit the National Taichung Theater 臺中國家歌劇院 although I was not really interested to go. 

In Taichung, the main transportation were cars, scooters, buses and trains. There was no Metro there. So, the most time efficient way for tourists who cannot drive to travel within the city was by Uber or taxi. Uber would be slightly cheaper than taxi and also you won't have to be afraid of getting conned. Taking the buses and trains would be the cheapest way but very time-consuming!


Therefore, I used Uber to get a ride to the National Taichung Theater around 3.20 PM. This was my first time using a Uber so I was quite nervous hahaha. I was afraid that I accidentally set up the wrong pick-up point or the driver bail out on us. Seriously, I never used Grab at my own country.

Luckily the driver did come and it was a new Honda C-RV. But the driver was very very quiet. In fact, I didn't hear any sound coming from him, even when my dad greeted him. I was a bit worried that we annoyed him because his face expression seemed dissatisfied all the time. Anyhow, when we reached our destination and said thank you, I think I did saw him nodded his head lol. This Uber ride costed us NT$ 116.




  NATIONAL TAICHUNG THEATRE 臺中國家歌劇院  




National Taichung Theater 臺中國家歌劇院






OK this place was quite boring for me as it had nothing much to see besides its special architecture.



  MOLECURE PHARMACY 分子藥局  

Then, I decided to just visit the insta-famous Molecure Pharmacy 分子藥局 because duh... I'm a pharmacist! It's obligatory for a pharmacist to visit a pharmacy in every country that he/she visits lol.
.... The truth is, it's just located opposite the National Taichung Theater and we still had plenty of time before the sunset.

This is a rather special pharmacy because it has a minimalist and modern interior design. The things they're selling were less compared to a regular pharmacy.



Medicines arranged neatly on the shelves.


Looked more like a skin care products shop than a pharmacy?

I actually felt quite 'paiseh' to take photos in that pharmacy because there were only us and few other customers. We were the only tourists I think and we looked like typical tourists! So I tried to act as locally as possible (although impossible with the big mirrorless camera hanging from my neck).

We left that pharmacy after a while. It was too awkwardly quiet for me to stay there any longer. Sometimes no crowd is not the best scenario lol.

After we're done with the pharmacy, we still have around 1 hour to go before we can start moving towards Gaomei Wetlands. I planned to reach there just 30 minutes before the sunset time which was around 5.56 PM. So, we sat on the chairs in front of Family Mart nearby drinking beverages bought from Family Mart while waiting for the time to pass.

A car ride to Gaomei Wetlands from Molecure Pharmacy would take roughly 40 minutes so I booked a Uber ride around 4.40 PM. It's easy to get a Uber ride to Gaomei Wetlands apparently. I had been worried for nothing lol. And wow this could be the best car we've got for our Uber rides in Taiwan. We've got a new BMW 5-series! However, the Uber driver was not a hot guy hahaha. Instead, he was a middle-aged uncle who's driving tourists around for a living. He was very very friendly and talkative though. My dad had a good chat with him about countries, politics and whatnot until he kind of wished to take the same car for the ride back to our AirBnb after the sunset. The Uber ride to Gaomei Wetlands from Molecure Pharmacy costed us NT$759.


  GAOMEI WETLANDS 高美濕地  

First look at Gaomet Wetlands 高美濕地

We reached Gaomei Wetlands 高美濕地 around 5.20 PM. 

The beauty of sunset in Gaomei Wetlands have been raved about in the internet, which leads me to have expectations towards this place. But as we all know, sometimes it's not a good thing to live your life with expectations because it'll easily lead to disappointment. And this is especially true when you're travelling. This Taiwan trip had been a stressful one for me because I kept striving to meet my expectation, which was to carry out my itinerary as planned. So, when I had to cancel out a big part of my itinerary I felt sad. Perhaps I could enjoy this trip more if I didn't spend so much time planning every detail of the trip and just go with the flow on what's given to me.

Anyway, Gaomei Wetlands 高美濕地 was quite disappointing. You can see from the first photo that the sky was quite greyish due to the air pollution from all that coal power plants. Taiwan's energy source is a long story for another day but basically the Uber driver told us that the government has a vision to achieve 100% renewable energy and hence they spent millions to build all those windmills. However, the power generated by windmills solely were still not enough to supply for the whole nation so they still mainly rely on the coal power plants. Then, he pointed out that, that being said, a lot of windmills were seen 'not spinning' so he wondered whether the windmills were put to good use.

Yup, we indeed saw a lot of windmills in Taichung than any other areas of Taiwan, and they really were just static.

OK so the sky was not pinkish/reddish/orange-ish as expected, but luckily the ground was still quite interesting.

Little crabs seen everywhere

There were many of these small crabs in the wetlands where the tourists were restricted from stepping in to preserve the ecosystem.


Wetland plants whose names I don't know


Light house and castle-like building



Oh ya, as opposed to my expectations, Gaomei Wetlands was filled with people! I didn't find this amount of crowd in any other places that I've visited in Taiwan (except the night markets). And it was a weekday, mind you. I believe a lot of them were locals though and I heard Malaysian slangs a lot too lol. Yeah, so I guess don't need to worry about availability of Uber service back to Taichung city area since there were so many people in Gaomei Wetlands. They most probably came by Uber ride too so the Uber drivers would probably just wait around Gaomei Wetlands for customers who want to go back to the city.


The walkways in Gaomei Wetlands 高美濕地木棧道 (no edit)

They built these long wooden walkways that tourists can walk on without stepping on the wetlands. At the end of these walkways tourists can walk on the part of wetlands where there were mainly just mud, some sea water and nothing else. The walk to the end takes around 15 minutes. You can see from the photo above that the walkways were filled with tourists and the nearer you got to the end, the more the tourists.




Papa with the egg yolk.
(lol the tourists at the background looked like ants)

Maybe in the photos, the sun was not as obvious as in real life but we could actually see the egg yolk very clearly with our naked eyes.


I edited this photo to become pastel pink for fun

The sun hit the horizon

We actually had to walk very far away from the walkways to get some photos without the crowd but still couldn't avoid including a few people in the shot above.

The sunset moment was just in a split second. And once the sun disappeared, everyone started walking back to the shore. We were also very 'kiasu' so we paced back to the entrance so that we could get an Uber ride back to the city.

My dad still insisted to call that BMW Uber driver earlier (he gave my dad his name card) to ask whether he could send us back to the city. I told my dad that he probably already have other customers so why not we just try to get a Uber ride ourselves first. Dad seemed not so happy with my decision lol.

So I booked a new Uber ride pretty easily once I got to the entrance. It's just a bit difficult to set the pick-up point in that area. I even called the driver to tell him the exact place in case he's confused but he managed to find us before I said anything haha.

This time it was a new Toyota Altis. This driver was also friendly and chatty so I guess managed to cheer up my dad again lol. But my dad spilled some coffee in his car and didn't say anything *facepalm*. The Uber ride costed NT$ 728.

We went back to our Fengjia AirBnb to use the toilet and put our stuffs. Then, we walked to the Fengjia Night Market 逢甲夜市 which were just 2 minutes walk away from our AirBnb.



  FENGJIA NIGHT MARKET 逢甲夜市  

Fengjia Night Market 逢甲夜市

Taiwanese really like Japanese culture and you can see a lot of similarities between their shopping areas and markets.

There were many claw machine shops in Fengjia Night Market. Some were cute and some were weird.

And some people brought their dogs to the night market! How nice! Taiwanese dogs have good lives!


The famous Akaoni Steak 赤鬼牛排 at the background

We didn't try a lot of the famous food because we all have small stomachs but the foods that we did try were mostly good.

I'll just spam photos of food from the night market and not commenting much on the food because I'm lazy and my Taiwan blog posts are taking forever to complete! Besides, I'm not a foodie also. It's been 3 months after I came back from Taiwan and I've already forgotten what the food tasted like LOL. So, I'll just give a simple verdict for each food. 

Generally, food in Taiwan is nice especially night market food. Just keep in mind that if your aim of visiting night markets is to hunt down the famous street foods, first check online which is the REAL and original shop because there were many many shops selling the same food. 

Grilled beef cubes 火燒骰子牛 NT$ 120 for 3 sticks
Beef cubes - nice


Watermelon juice

Dried bean curd with green sauce 大黑屋青醬豆乾 NT$ 35

Dried bean curd - was not in my list but turned out the sauce was nice



Sweet potato balls 地瓜球 NT$ 30
Sweet potato balls - mehh (maybe coz I didn't buy from the famous one)


Black Tea Yeast Stinky Tofu 紅茶臭豆腐 NT$ 60
Black tea yeast stinky tofu - not from a famous shop but also nice. It's really stinky and tasty.



Boneless Drumstick Roll 去骨鷄腿卷 NT$ 35

Drumstick roll - nice, tender drumstick with crispy skin and MSG


Sausage with sticky glutinous rice 官芝霖大腸包小腸 NT 50
Sausage with sticky glutinous rice - bought from the famous shop, nice


Green bean shaved ice 金享綠豆冰沙 NT$ 35
Green bean shaved ice - not sure if this is famous but nice


Japanese grilled squid 日式烤魷魚 NT$ 110

Japanese grilled squid - because mum wanted to eat squid, mehhh


Fried Oyster 蚵仔煎 NT$ 60

Fried oyster - supposed to be Taiwan's signature snack but this was not from famous shop, mehhh couldn't even taste the oyster and very oily.


Minglun Pancake 明倫蛋餅 NT$ 40

Minglun Pancake - from famous shop, nice coz I like egg


 純粹。喝 拿鐵 NT$ 30

This brand of coffee was so good that I bought a second bottle another day! NT$ 30 only in Taiwan. They sell double the price in Malaysia! Somehow I only saw a few choices in convenience stores though... mainly latte...

We went back to our AirBnb around 10 PM~


Generally, things in Taichung were cheaper compared to Taipei so it's a nice place to buy all your souvenirs. Don't buy in Shilin Night Market because they sell higher price due to concentration of tourists!

And the main mode of transport for us in Taichung was Uber~~~ Actually it was the only place in Taiwan that we used Uber.




Yeah, so that's all for my day in Taichung~














You Might Also Like

0 comments

Latest Post

A Traumatising Incident at Tawau, Sabah

It's been a looooooooooong time since I blog about my daily life other than my travelogs. Partly because there's really nothing so ...