TAIWAN TRAVELOG 2018 臺灣寶島之旅 DAY 5: TAICHUNG 臺中 Rainbow Village 彩虹眷村

7:54 PM





DAY 5


21th September


This was the morning that we woke up at the latest hour during our whole Taiwan trip. I didn't plan where to eat for breakfast in Taichung so I just simply Googled breakfast near me lol. Sis recommended to eat Taiwanese Pancakes in just any Taiwanese breakfast shop. I was looking for something local, off the beaten path and undiscovered jewel type of tradional Taiwanese breakfast and Google did not disappoint me!

There were actually a lot of traditional breakfast shops in Taiwan because apparently breakfast is very important to Taiwanese lol. But I wanted to find somewhere within walking distance from our AirBnb which took me some time to search because most were not opened for unknown reason??

Eventually I found this shop that had no shop sign. On Google Maps, it was given the name 'Taiwan Chuantong Breakfast Restaurant'. I knew I had to save it's GPS coordinate in my Google Maps or I'll not be able to find it again next time. It had only 11 reviews but mostly were good rating.

It was just about 10 minutes walking through shop lots to reach the restaurant. I was worried that we might missed it or that it was closed but luckily we found it eventually. It was a really small shop!

The boss lady who were cooking looked friendly. The food menu with prices was on the wall and the food were all very affordable. They had quite a wide range of traditional Taiwanese breakfast like Taiwanese Pancakes with egg 蛋餅, XiaoLongBao 湯包, Pepper bun 燒餅, Fried breadsticks 油條, Pan-fried stuffed buns 水煎包, Rice balls 飯糰 , Carrot cake 蘿蔔糕, Yam cake 芋糕, Fried dumpling 鍋貼, Scallion pancake 葱油餅, soybean milk 豆漿, rice milk 米漿 and milk tea 奶茶.

We ended up just pointed at the food to order because we didn't know what were the names lol. So the names I'm going to caption for the food photos below were the names I guessed ya lol.


Soybean milk 豆漿 NT$ 15 & Rice milk 米漿 NT$ 15

Hashbrown, Carrot cake 蘿蔔糕 NT$ 15 & Yam cake 芋糕 NT$ 30

Red bean bun 豆沙包 NT$ 13 & Scallion pancake 葱油餅 NT$ 15

Taiawanese pancakes with egg 蛋餅 NT$ 22

Fried dumpling 鍋貼 NT$ 25

Generally the food were all nice and cheap! Worth to return!



Shop name: 臺灣傳統早餐店 Taiwan Chuantong Breakfast Restaurant (No.281-2, Section 2, Xitun Road, Xitun District, Taichung City, Taiwan 407) 





  RAINBOW VILLAGE 彩虹眷村  


After breakfast, we returned back to our AirBnb, packed our luggage to prepare for check-out and rested until around 10.30 AM. Then, we took a Uber to our last destination in Taichung -- Rainbow Village 彩虹眷村. I some more texted the driver through Uber APP to inform him that we carried four luggage in case his car cannot fit. This Uber driver drove a Volkswagen Caddy and he was a quiet person. We didn't talk a thing during the whole ride. The ride to Rainbow Village costed us NT$ 193.

The weather was already very hot during the time we reached Rainbow Village and we were carrying 4 luggage! There were also quite a lot of tourists. Dad offered to look after our luggage outside the Rainbow Village while we went in to explore.



Rainbow Village

Stamping spot!

Rainbow Granpa's workplace


The pretend 'Ironman' with a guitar

Rainbow Village

Paint cans


Rainbow Village

Wall paintings with Chinese quotes

Rainbow Village




Rainbow village

Rainbow Village

Rainbow Village

Rainbow village

Rainbow Village



Rainbow village

Rainbow Village

Rainbow Village

Booth selling souvenirs

Rainbow popsicles! NT$ 30

Rainbow Village is just a small place that can be finish explored in 30 minutes (including photo taking time). Generally I liked this place because the drawings were cute and special and I just feel happy by just looking at the vivid colours and the positive quotes. 

Do you know it's also an Instagram hotspot? You can get a nice photo at every corner of the place, literally. Also, it was also quite meaningful to visit this place because of the story of Rainbow Grandpa. I even bought a fridge magnet and a file with Rainbow Grandpa's drawings to support the grandpa because they don't charge entrance fee, even though I normally do not buy souvenirs.


A4 folder with Rainbow Grandpa's drawing NT$ 50

Fridge magnet NT$ 50

Even the free plastic bag was also specially designed


After that, we had to go to HSR Station to take HSR back to Taipei. My dad anyhow decided to take the bus to save money, since the bus stop was just opposite Rainbow Village. However, we missed the bus and we had to wait another 15 minutes for the next bus. Then, in the end we took one of the taxis that were waiting in front of Rainbow Village. 

Bad decision.

The taxi driver already told us that the ride to the HSR Station was a fixed fee -- NT$ 200. By listening to this, we should already know it would be overpriced. I think my dad just didn't hear what the driver said about the fixed price and so was my sis. I didn't know why I didn't stop them from following the driver to his taxi at that moment. Perhaps it was because I couldn't open the Uber APP at that time. 

When we got up his taxi, my dad immediately noticed the meter wasn't on and questioned the driver. And my dad and sis were like surprised when the driver said he charge a fixed fee lol. But we just continued with the plan anyway because we wouldn't want to cause any trouble since the driver actually already told us that he charge a fixed fee before we get on the taxi. And the ride to HSR Station was so near only! And true enough, I checked with the Uber APP and found that the Uber's price was way much cheaper. Haiz kena conned for the second time in Taiwan.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Latest Post

A Traumatising Incident at Tawau, Sabah

It's been a looooooooooong time since I blog about my daily life other than my travelogs. Partly because there's really nothing so ...